Monday, April 19, 2010

Fabric Pinwheels with Tutorial!

I am so excited about my next project! I have had this idea for over a month and I just got around to finishing it! I was bummed when I saw that some other ladies had the same idea, but mine is still a little different. I am in LOVE with pinwheels right now! I decided that I wanted to make some to decorate for May. So this is what I came up with!
 I originally was going to make them with paper, but decide after I saw them made out of fabric on Fowlsinglefile that fabric was the way to go! I also am providing a tutorial on how I made mine! I took a lot of shortcuts! So here we go!

Supply List

Wooden dowels
Dried beans
Little bucket pails
Ribbon
Hot glue gun
Glue sticks
Assorted Fabric
Fabric mat and ruler
Rotary cutter
Buttons
Steam and Seam(double sided iron on)
Iron
Scissors

Directions

1. Take your fabric and decide what size you want your pinwheels to be. Mine were 6x6, 4x4, and 3.5x3.5.  Each pinwheel takes two pieces of different fabric.  I cut 6 pieces of fabric for each size to equal 9 pinwheels!

 2. Cut your steam and seam the same sizes as your material! You will need 9 pieces total.


3. Put the steam and seam between both pieces of material and iron together!
4. Fold one corner to the corner across from it forming a triangle.


5. Take your scissors and cut almost to the middle. Fold the square the opposite way to form a triangle and cut that almost to the middle as well!

6. Fold on corner in from each of the four pieces and hot glue each piece down as you go.


7. After you have all your pieces glued to the center then hot glue a button in the center to hide the tips of the material.


8. Put your pinwheel to the side and grab you dowels! I found mine in the cake section at Wal Mart!

9. I left 3 of my dowels the size they came and the cut down the other 6 so that the pinwheels were different sizes.
10. Grab your ribbon and put a dab of glue at one end of the dowel. Then put the end of your ribbon on the glue and proceed to wrap the ribbon around the dowel to the other end! At the end cut your ribbon and put another dab of glue to hold the ribbon together!


11. You are almost finished! Grab your pinwheel and hot glue it to your ribbon dowel! You now have your pinwheel.
12. Pour your beans into a little bucket or pail and place your pinwheels into them. I found my buckets/pails at the dollar tree!

Here are all 3 of my buckets!



What are you waiting for, go make some pinwheels!

I am linking to these fabulous blogs!
Making



The Girl CreativeSumo Sweet Stuff



Keeping It SimplePhotobucketThe DIY Show Off

Simply Designing





  




19 comments:

  1. I am so making those - you are too crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are precious! I love the fabric, and the stems. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a really cute idea to make them from fabric. I love the colors and prints you chose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutly love these! They are on my to make list I love them!

    Thanks so much for linking up! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea they look fabulous!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving these!! Too precious!!

    Tessa
    {shopper gal}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these!
    Did a great job, and thanks for a completely awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the cutest pinwheels I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute!! I love that you used fabric, I've never seen that before. The dowels are so fun with the ribbon too, it all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is great fabric, like everyone said - soo cute! Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday! www.craftedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love this idea! Thank you for sharing. I'm not crafty at all, but I'll give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pinwheels are adorable! You are SO crafty! Keep up the GREAT work!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leslie,
    I haven't seen fabric pinwheels before! So cool! Love the fabric you used. Thanks for joining the Craftaholics Anonymous party! I had fun stopping by and checking out your craftiness!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Leslie,
    Just wanted to swing by and let you know I featured your pinwheels today :)
    happy crafting,
    Linda
    Craftaholics Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was surfing through blogs and came across yours. So cute! Love this idea and great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm searching for fabric pinwheel tuts and found yours. Very helpful. One question, will the fusible be stiff enough for larger pinwheels? (9") I'm just about to experiment. Hope they won't be floppy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My friend showed me fabric pinwheels yesterday, and then I found your tutorial. I made some pinwheels and turned them into a wreath. You can see my post about it here: http://sandysewz.blogspot.com/2011/08/pinwheel-wreath-tutorial.html
    Thanks so much for such a great step-by-step tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate when readers leave comments! I read each one of them and I get all excited to see HOOOO is taking interest in my post! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a few words it makes my day!